Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicles Services

Check my boat HIN

The HIN (Hull Identification Number) – The US Coast Guard has mandated that Kentucky come into compliance with all HINs by 2018. Learn more about correcting or applying for a HIN Number

Driver's Licenses registration and renewal

Driver’s Licenses are issued by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet at
Information about the legal docket, traffic tickets, court fees/fines, or any court related matter, please call the Circuit Clerk at 859-824-4467

Motor Vehicle Renewals

Motor vehicle licensing is the most widely used service of the Edmonson County Clerk’s office. When renewing your motor vehicle you have 2 options:

Mail-In Renewal Service:

A $2.00 fee is added to cover postage and handling. Send registration certificate, current KY insurance card, and payment (plus a $2.00 mail-in fee) to Edmonson County Clerk, P.O. Box 830 Brownsville, KY 42210. You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.


In-Person Renewal Service:

County Clerk’s Office
108 N. Main Street
Brownsville, KY 42210

When renewing your motor vehicle remember these important items:

– Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance is required for all vehicles.
– You may also provide the current registration and/or renewal notice received in the mail.
– All titling transactions require odometer disclosure.
– Kentucky law requires a person purchasing a vehicle or moving an out-of-state vehicle into Kentucky to make application for title within 15 days.
– Vehicles coming from another state must have a Vehicle Identification Number inspection before titling in Kentucky.
– Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners birth month with the exception of personalized and specialty plates.
– Special Plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.

Motor Boat Renewals

All motor boat registrations and transfers are handled by the County Clerk’s Office. Kentucky law requires all boats having motors to be registered if operated on public waters. To register a boat you must have your registration certificate. Boat renewals and property tax payments may be processed in the same ways that you renew a motor vehicle.

To correspond with us in writing, please write to:
Edmonson County Clerk’s Office
P.O. Box 830
Brownsville, KY 42210

To contact our Motor Vehicle department please phone: 270-597-2624.

BUYER BEWARE! – TITLE AND SERIAL NUMBER CHECK Before purchasing any motor vehicle, make certain that the current owner can provide a valid title for the vehicle. Be sure to verify that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) matches the number reflected on the title. This number is typically located on the dashboard on the driver’s side and is usually visible through the windshield. If these numbers do not match, insist that the discrepancy be corrected or do not complete the transaction.

Skip to content